You might have often noticed that in spite of having installed and added a printer to your computer, you are not able to use this equipment. This could be due to two reasons; you either need to install printer drivers or update the old version present on your PC to make it compatible with the Windows version that is currently running on your system.
Where can I get the printer drivers?
In some cases, the drivers are shipped along with the Windows version and get saved to your PC when the hardware installation takes place. You can also update the drivers periodically using the Windows update option. The second option is to download and install these using a CD or DVD that will be provided along with the printer when you purchase it from the manufacturer.
In case you did not get a CD or do not have these drivers installed on your PC, then search the website of the printer manufacturer from where you can download and install the latest version.
Installation/Update printer drivers through the Printers folder:
- Click ‘Start’ button and then select ‘Control panel’. Next, click on ‘Hardware and sound’ and finally choose the option ‘Printers’.
- Right-click and select ‘Run as administrator’ and then click ‘Properties’
- Next, select the ‘Advanced’ tab
- Select ‘New driver’ and then follow the steps outlined in ‘Add printer driver wizard’
Download/Install drivers through manufacturer’s website:
- Find out the version of Windows running on your PC
- Click ‘Start’ button, select ‘All programs’ and then click ‘Accessories’. Select ‘System tools’ from this and finally ‘System information’
- Select ‘System summary’ and confirm the OS name and system type.
- Open the manufacturer’s website and search for compatible printer driver
- Follow instructions for download and installation
The latest version of printer drivers that is compatible with the Windows version of your PC must be available for any printer to work without hitches. The drivers will either be present on your computer in the Printers folder or has to be downloaded and installed through the printer manufacturer’s website.
Though, you do have easier options. You can run a scan of DriverBoost and find the drivers that need to be updated. At that point, you can go to the manufacturer’s site and download the drivers. But be careful! The wrong ones could get you in a lot of trouble. If you want to save time and have the reassurance of someone doing it for you, then you can continue on to purchase the software after the free scan and update printer drivers now.