There are various problems that can occur with your hardware and software video drivers in Windows XP. Remember that you will need to restart the system during the troubleshooting process and hence cannot have other pages open while at this task.
Hardware and software driver problems can arise due to various reasons. Some of these are;
- Installation of new updates after which the driver has stopped working
- Installation of new hardware
- The installation of the right and compatible driver for the hardware has not occurred
- Installation of corrupted drivers
What are the Various Troubleshooting Tips?
- Disconnect new hardware – If you have installed a new hardware device which is not working properly, then chances are that you have either not installed it correctly or did not install a compatible driver. In this case, disconnect the new hardware and then restart the PC. If everything is fine, it means that the driver has not been installed properly in which case you will need to get the updated driver or install it once again in the right manner.
- Search Microsoft Knowledgebase – Since you are using Windows XP as your OS, then you are likely to find the answers for your problem on the site’s knowledgebase. In case you notice an error message, then copy and paste this on the knowledgebase to get answers for the problem.
- Roll Back Driver – This is a feature that you can use to reverse the negative consequence of any incorrect or corrupted video drivers. Select Start and then Run. Type in “devmgmt.msc” in the Open box and click Enter. Click on the appropriate hardware category and then double click to restore the driver. Click on Driver and then select Roll Back Driver. Restart your PC to get the drivers running again.
These tips are bound to help you in addressing your video driver issues and gain the maximum out of your hardware and software applications.
Various problems can arise with video drivers that can affect both the hardware and software applications on your PC. Try out the several troubleshooting techniques to address any issues with the driver such as incompatibility, corruption or upgradation.