To maintain your Toshiba computer’s health, you have to stay on top of your computer’s drivers. That means updating your Toshiba drivers on occasion. If you don’t, you may find your video giving you a black screen in the following scenarios:
- Watching Netflix
- Playing a game
- No sound when you try to listen to iTunes
- Your printer is on the fritz printing nothing but gibberish
- You get the “Device not recognized” error when you try to use a USB device.
All of these errors are driver errors that can be the result of not updating your Toshiba drivers.
How Do You Know Which Drivers?
Toshiba isn’t all that great at keeping their older computer’s drivers up to date. If your computer is less than a year old, you may not need to know your hardware, but knowing your hardware and driver version never hurt anyone when updating drivers. To get this information, just go into Device Manager. To get to Device Manager, follow these steps:
- Go to Start
- In the Search Box type in “Device Manager”
- Press Enter
From here, it depends on which piece of hardware is messing up on you. You may have driver errors showing up. They will show up as yellow “!” in Device Manager. Those you definitely want to update.
Aside from that, if you are having video problems, your video card is in “Display Adapters” and your sound card is in “Sound, video and game controllers.” The rest you should be able to find with just a little bit of searching. Once you’ve found the devices, write down the name and double click on the device. Go to the “Driver” tab and write down the driver version. From here on out, you want to make sure you get a more recent version of the driver.
Manually Updating Toshiba Drivers
To manually update Toshiba drivers, you need to go to the manufacturer’s website.
- Just go to support.toshiba.com
- Click on Download
- Choose the kind of computer you have: Laptop, Desktop, or Tablet
- Choose the model
- Choose the model #
- Choose Go
- Now find the most recent drivers for your version of Windows; you may have to wade through a few pages to find them. Is the driver version newer than what you have? Check and if it is, we’ll download it and install it. Make sure to save it in a place where you will remember the location.
- Now to install the driver, go to where you saved the file and double click on the driver. It will auto install being an exe file.
Of course, it’s possible that didn’t fix your issue. If you’re using an older Toshiba, you may need to search online for a newer driver for your Toshiba. This can lead you to much frustration as you find driver after driver that doesn’t work, that conflicts, that wasn’t written for your Toshiba, etc.
Install Drivers the Easy Way
There is a way around manually updating your drivers. Programmers saw that the average computer user was coming across problems with updating drivers and not knowing how, or how important it is to keep their drivers up to date, so they came up with driver update software. This software will keep track of your drivers for you. If any become corrupt or out of date, the program will search the Web, and then update Toshiba drivers for you all with a couple clicks of the mouse.