If you have purchased a new computer, upgraded hardware, or updated Windows and are having trouble printing on your Canon printer, or your printer is no longer recognized by the machine, then you are likely experiencing out of date or corrupt Canon drivers. Usually simply uninstalling and reinstalling the software that came with the printer will fix the problem.
The bigger problem is that many times we misplace the disks after not needing them for many years. It is also possible that your new machine has technology that surpasses that on the disks and you need to go to the manufacturer’s web page for the most up to date drivers.
What are Printer Drivers Anyway?
Printer drivers are little bits of programming that act as translators between your computer and your printer allowing your computer to print what you want it to print. Without drivers, all you would be able to print would be lines, or garbage. No pictures, no documents, nothing that makes sense. When something is wrong with the drivers, the communication between Windows and your hardware breaks down.
How to Update Canon Printer Drivers
There are several steps that you need to take to update your Canon printer drivers. To do so follow these steps:
- First you need to know your printer, which one is it? Take a look; it should have markings on it that tell you what it is.
- Next you need to go to http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support.
- Now choose Consumer & Home Office
- Then when the next box appears Printer & Multifunction.
- From there you find your printer and choose “Drivers & Software.” This will take you to another page. Here you choose your version of Windows, choose Driver, and then choose to download to a location you will remember.
- Wait for the download to complete, go to the saved file, and double click on it. It will auto install since it is an exe file.
How Driver Update Software Changes Things
There’s new software on the market called driver update software. It was created by programmers that saw the average user dealing more and more with driver issues and having to waste their time with them, or just not knowing how to deal with them. Many hardware manufacturers release new drivers for their hardware on a monthly basis these days just to keep up with the Windows updates so that their hardware stays in proper working order. Imagine having to update your drivers on a monthly basis!
So programmers came out with a program that will search the Web for your hardware’s latest drivers, download the drivers, and install the drivers, all with a few clicks of the mouse. That is the way driver update software changes things. Imagine hassle-free updates for Canon drivers. No more going to Canon’s website, searching for your printer on the website, and downloading the drivers. Just a few clicks of the mouse and its all taken care of, leaving you the rest of the day to do as you please.