Are you confused about how to navigate Sharp drivers updates on their website? This article will take you through everything in small steps.
If your Sharp printer is acting up or just not printing, there could be a few causes. If you have checked the ink already to no avail or your printer is printing gibberish, then you could have a printer driver error.
What are Printer Drivers and What do They Do?
Simply put, printer drivers are little bits of programming that allow your printer to communicate with your computer. Windows needs these drivers in order to process the command to print and translate what you see on your computer into data that the printer will understand and then print. Without these drivers, you will have a printer that prints gibberish at best, or not at all as it won’t recognize a command to print.
What causes printer driver errors? There are two causes of printer driver errors. Either the driver has become corrupt or out-of-date.
A driver becomes corrupt if you have been infected with a virus or malware. These malignant programs often go after your drivers in an attempt to disable your computer.
Drivers go out-of-date in a couple of different ways. First, is through the regular updating of Windows’ programming language. The uses of Windows change over time significantly enough to render once-working drivers useless. The other way is through the installation of new programs that may be written to work with a newer version of your printer’s drivers.
Fortunately the fix for both is the same. Update your Sharp drivers for your specific printer.
How Do I Update My Sharp Printer Drivers?
First thing to do is look at your printer and find the model information. If you can’t find it, we can go into Device Manager and look it up. Just follow these steps:
- Go to Start.
- In the Search Bar, type in “Device Manager”.
- Press Enter.
- Go to “Imaging Devices”.
- Write down your model number for future reference.
Now you want to download your Sharp drivers. To do that, we’re going to have to go to Sharp’s website. We’ll walk you through the download of the Sharp printer drivers.
- Go to http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ProductDownloads.aspx.
- On the side that says “Find Product Downloads By Model #” in the dropdown box that says “Select a Product Category”, you want to choose MFPs & Printers.
- In the second dropdown box, you choose your model number. This is where your piece of paper and the note of your model number come in.
- Now for “Download Type”, we want Driver.
- Next it will ask which “Driver Platform”. You want to choose Microsoft because you are running Windows.
- Now it will ask you what your Operating System is. Choose the version of Windows you are running and then “Search”.
- Now you will find yourself with several drivers listed for your printer, you want to pick the GDI driver.
- Save the file in a location you will remember.
Now, the file is a zip file. Unless you already have a program that will let you open and extract zip files, we need to get you one. The two most trusted programs on the market are WinZip and WinRAR. We prefer WinRAR because it’s free.
So pull up your web browser and go to Google. Do a search for “WinRAR Download” or if you have a 64 bit version of Windows “WinRAR 64 bit download” and find a download that way. Install WinRAR and we’ll get to updating your Sharp drivers right away.
Now to update your Sharp drivers. Follow these steps:
- You want to go to your Desktop and right-click.
- Go to “New”.
- Go to “Folder” and name the folder “Sharp drivers”.
- Now go to the file you downloaded and double click on it.
- A window should open up that will show you all the files contained in that zip file. At the top of the window, you should see an option to “Extract to.” Click on this and choose the new folder you just created as the destination of the files.
- Now we go back into Device Manager.
- Go back to your printer, and double click on it.
- Go to the “Driver” tab.
- Choose to “Update driver”.
- Choose to “Browse” to the location of the drivers.
- 11. Point it to the folder on your Desktop and choose to “Update driver”.
- 12. Your computer may want to restart at this time, go ahead and let it.
An Easier Way to Update Sharp Drivers
There is an easier way to update your drivers than to go through all those steps. There is software on the market specifically designed to keep your drivers up-to-date. Here’s how it works: it monitors your drivers and if any become corrupted or out-of-date, it will then go online and download the latest drivers. Then it will update those drivers for you–all with a few clicks of the mouse!