DVD drive is one of the devices that we often use. Whether you use it to make system or watch DVD, we always need it as long as it is related to optical discs. But sometimes a DVD drive will “strike” and won’t read disks. This is a difficult situation for those who use a DVD drive. Then how to solve the problem that the DVD drive won’t read discs?
Here are some possible solutions to fix the problem:
- Before we decide a DVD drive is dead, we should check if there’s something wrong with the optical discs. Sometimes you unconsciously buy a pirated disc with poor quality and it can be recognized by the DVD drive. This is not the drive’s problem. It’s the disc that is to blame. If you replace the disc with solid quality, the optical drive will read it normally.
- If you’ve tested several discs and the drive can’t read anyone of them, then we can guess that the DVD-ROM might be the problem. Of course, we should check first that if it is a software issue. The driver is the important role for connecting the operating system and hardware. So we should check whether the driver is normal and is compatible with the DVD drive. If not, you should update the driver. You can right-click the DVD drive on your computer and then click Properties -> Hardware tab -> select the DVD drive -> Properties -> Driver. If you find the Update Driver button is gray, then the driver needn’t update. If not, you should click the Update Driver to upgrade the driver.
- Virus is another possible reason that will make the DVD unreadable. As the biggest hard to a computer, virus can be described as all-pervasive. Maybe your computer affects the optical drive virus which may cause the DVD drive letter lost or optical drive unable to read the disk. Those viruses are very harmful, so it is recommended that you use antivirus software to kill the virus. Safe mode would be better.
- Next, we should check out if it is the hardware problem. First, we should see if the DVD drive is accumulated with dust. The computer can be easily tainted with dust when they are in use. Dust will make the hardware process capacity fall. If the dust is too much, the disc then will not be read. At this moment, we can wipe the drive with the alcohol cotton ball. Then use it after it is dry.
- If the DVD drive is not used for a long time, the DVD not reading disc situation would be possible. Because its drive mechanism is lack of lubrication, the rotation rate will become very slow or not rotate at all. Then we can wipe some oil to the slider and metal shaft to make the DVD drive come to live.
- Laser head is very close to the optical disc and is regarded as the heart of the optical drive. A laser head is responsible for reading data. So if the laser head is bad or full of dust, the DVD drive probably won’t read disc regularly, so you can clean the laser head to see if it will work again.
- If all the solutions mentioned above can’t solve the problem, it’s time for you to exchange it with a new DVD drive. Also it is not expensive.
About the Author:
Lacey Young is the editor of DRM-Assistant.com and she is very addicted to technology staff. She also writes many tips and tutorial for the readers. Here is one: if you want to make DVDs multi-region, you can use a DVD Ripper to rip and convert it for playing them on any players.